Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Man on the Roof

One night I was coloring in my living room, and I heard a noise coming from the roof, but I didn’t think about it much. Strangely, during our family prayer we heard it again. There had been police search helicopters flying in our neighborhood earlier, so we wondered if someone might be hiding on our roof. After the prayer, my dad called the police. They said some officers would come right away. 

When the police arrived, they told us they had been searching for someone. The helicopters came back and saw that there was someone lying on the flat roof above our living room. Police officers with guns shouted to the man to come down.

My mom gathered us into one room and tried to comfort my brother who was crying. I felt scared and started to cry too, but then I got a feeling of peace. I remembered when a man spoke in church and told a story from his past when he made some bad choices and was able to repent and be happy again. That same day, my Primary teacher had taught us about repentance. When I remembered those things, I felt like I should say a prayer that whoever was on our roof could find his way to happiness.

The police were able to get the man down. He wasn’t dangerous, but the police said he was very drunk. After the police left, we talked about what had just happened. My parents told us that usually people who use drugs and alcohol are having a hard time in their lives. I told my parents about my prayer. My mom was amazed that I thought to pray for the man’s well being instead of feeling scared for myself. I went to bed that night with a happy feeling and knew that God would help the man on the roof.


2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you could have a feeling of peace in a frightening situation. You tell your experience so well <3

    ReplyDelete